in the reANIMATED world of B..

this is about me.. my life.. my loves.. my journeys.. my adventures.. ALL ME. .

Friday, April 16, 2010

#97 RUN A 5K




It’s been a bit over 5 months since I last ran my 10k. Due to extreme laziness, I’ve chosen the computer over everything else. I’ve gone jogging a few times but never went for a run. With Operation Sexy in effect, I really wanted to change that.

About a week prior, I’d go running from a golf course somewhat near my house and run from there home. It’s about a mile in distance and surprisingly I wasn’t stopping as often as I thought I would have. There was hope. Looking on VIRR.com I found that there was going to be a 5k at Keopuolani Park which is about a 15 minute drive from my house. The second part of the battle was the actual run; the first was to wake up early enough to get there, which is pretty unheard of as of recent.

Getting to the park, the tents are all set up. The finish line is beyond the registration. It cost $29 to register with all proceeds going to the Isiah Christian Academy. I’ve never heard of that school but its cool, I’ll drop the cash, and gladly did. The turnout wasn’t quite as good as many would have wanted it, but for the most part, it was a nice quaint crowd.

I tried to find a few songs that I could run to but unfortunately my sucky ass Blackberry didn’t get good reception. The mandatory stretching session was done and we all walked to the starting line. The students joined the runners for a thank you speech and prayer done by the faculty. The feeling of doing something good rushed within me. The fact that I was getting fit while helping out the community was soup to my soul, I loved it.

The beginning of the 5k was great. It was nice being in the middle of dozens and dozens of runners. Their energy gave me energy. That fed my spirit. The water tables were in abundance and so were the helpers turned motivators. There was a bit of a mishap with the direction the runners took. Due to a lack of communication and direction, the runners didn’t take a particular turn and ended up going in the wrong direction. Before I realized it, I was about ¼ mile off the track. We all quickly got back on track and continued on with the run. I ended up burning up a sweat almost immediately. I passed people as people passed me. The run in its entirety was just over 3 laps of the park. As the race wore on, the kids were chanting crap just to be funny with their peers. It was a bit irritating but like I’ve said before, if I was in their shoes, I’d be doing the same, so I can’t hate.

Crossing the finish line signaled the start of a new beginning for me. It signaled a time of change and a time for change. It’s time to me to really put my initiative to good use and pursue a better me. I pray and talk about various changes in my life but never chose to take the initiative to pursue them. This “FINISH” line symbolized that. The day was great in every way. I did something good for my health. I did something good for my spirit. And I did something good for my soul. Bucket List #97 has been X’ed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment